Monday 5 March 2012

Social Networking


Social Networking

Nowadays people have been accustomed to the social networking sites. We’ve probably gotten so hooked up already that every event in our lives the very second that it happened, we’d want the world to know. How on earth did the World Wide Web got this addictive?

Just like that, I stopped for a couple of minutes or even seconds just to tweet that my dad already bought me a meal and I am hoping that I would get to chow down on it the minute the plane touches down.
I have come to realize that the answer to my question a while back would have to come from me. Well, not everybody is addicted to the internet, in fact others just create an account and never really use it. Plus, due to individual differences our reasons vary although some might be common.

I shall rephrase then my question, Why am I addicted to the World Wide Web?
I could name a few reasons as to why I have become so dependent on this technology that doesn’t seem new yet it evolves so rapidly. Who knew that the only thing I got to do on the internet was to search for stuff and send e-mails. Now I could chat with my friends in real time, post pictures, search myself or rather Google myself, I can buy stuff, and what not.

Going back to the original agenda, I am addicted to the internet for a couple of reasons. The first would probably be, I have no real social life. I don’t get to go out of the house so much because I am such a good daughter and I follow my mom’s orders even if she is not with me in the house out of FEAR. Yes, I fear my mother whether or not she is physically with me.

You might ask, is a social life on the internet not real? Well, it is… it’s just that I’d like to classify things by categorizing them as the real thing or the not so real thing. I do have friends outside of the World Wide Web and yes, I do get to interact with them every day, but I need something from them which can only be given through the power of the World Wide Web thus bringing me to my next reason.

You see, the internet (what the hell I should just name names), Facebook has been used these days primarily for information dissemination. Since almost everyone is on facebook, student body representatives or student leaders, even teachers thought, Hey I could get to more people on facebook and this way no one would accuse me of not announcing the information. No, this is not a rationalization as to why I check my Facebook every so often. It’s the real reason.

I guess those two reasons would just have to be my two major reasons, as for the minor reasons, well… I just feel important everytime someone tweets me, or likes my status or comments on it. And I’d like to think that this is the primary reason why we are ALL addicted to the internet. We somehow feel important to people, whether we know them or not.

Somehow we feel that we have been neglected in the real world that we have created another real world where we would be somehow acknowledged. I mean, face it, you get that nice feeling when you get a notification that someone liked your post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment